Saturday, December 10, 2011

You Made Me A Thief


I stole glances at the familiar man beside me
His legs crossed casually, hands in his lap.
His hair made loops across his eyes in the breeze
Eyes shining blue, dark, feathered lashes hiding them.

My eyes caressed the lines in his worn hands
Attempting to soften them with tender love.
Holding steady with the understanding in the blue
The gentility of it all creating a pounding in my chest.

I stole glances at the strange man beside me
Feet tapping rapidly, fingers playing imaginary drums.
The light from the lamp above bounced off his scalp
Eyes shining blue, dark, feathered lashes hiding them.

My eyes shut hard at the sight of his imaginary drums
Attempting to block them out of my broken ears.
Blocking out all thoughts of that vibrant blue
The imaginary familiarity I’d created making me sick.

My lips trembled in their struggle for words
The man gathering his briefcase, beginning to stand.
I shut my eyes; “I’m in love with the man my eyes make you”
This man staggered, turning to meet my watering eyes.

His leg pressed mine as he sat close beside me
Placing a hand over mine and an ear to my lips
Begging for an explanation the strange words I’d uttered
And I stole glances at the familiar man beside me.

No comments:

Post a Comment