Saturday, December 10, 2011

Dead Letter

Dear John, I know you love home this time of year,
Waiting on you to tell it so, give it reason to thrive.
Stealing everything from the ground your young feet walked.
Cutting the grass I sat in and watched you get angry.

Dear John, I remember April every night in my heart.
As I fell in love with you for a countless amount of times,
Learning what the purest of bliss felt like when I saw you smile.
Wondering if you were conjuring bliss in your old heart.

Dear John, couldn’t you figure out that they were right?
You proved them right almost every night we shared.
Proving love, proving nothing, proving my heart in your hand.
Proving them wrong because it was never what you wanted.

Dear John, I can barely look at your gorgeous smile now.
Seeing it for only a moment, something so temporary.
Pushing away happiness because it will push me soon,
As I watch you pack your things, making everything real.

Dear John, don’t put our memories in that box.
Just look at that picture one more time, look at your face.
I never told you just how beautiful I find you, imperfect.
Just look at me one more time, look at my love.

Dear John, I know now that you are going to leave me.
I know you’re going to see me cry only a third time, over you.
I hope you are man enough to hold me this third time.
And I pray that Georgia knows how to hold you.

Dear John, I love you with all of my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment